Customize default language with OS Builder

Customize default language with OS Builder

Lionel Laské-2

Hi all,

I’ve seen that the « langs= » property in the .ini for OS Builder allow to choose the language sets installed on the image.

I wonder if there is a way to specify the default language (FR instead of EN for example).

Do I need to use a custom script for that?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

                Lionel.

Re: Customize default language with OS Builder

Jerry Vonau
On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 23:02 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I’ve seen that the « langs= » property in the .ini for OS Builder
> allow to choose the language sets installed on the image.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to specify the default language (FR instead
> of EN for example).
>
> Do I need to use a custom script for that?

Yes, sugar reads ~/.i18n for the language list in cp-languages. You
could do something like:

cat << EOF >> /home/olpc/.i18n

LANGUAGE=en_GB.utf8:en_US.utf8
EOF

This will only work if olpc-utils version 3.0.3 or later is used in the
image, prior versions deleted .i18n when first booted.

Jerry

> Thanks in advance for your answer.
>

>                 Lionel.

Re: Customize default language with OS Builder

Hi Lionel,

the right way for this is to have the correct language set in the
manufacturing data in the XO laptops. If you have this set right (and
you probably do already), then just include french in the build, and
on first boot the laptop will pick up the right default.

Boot one of your XOs, press escape to get into the OFW prompt ("ok"),
and type .mfg-data -- what does it print out?

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I’ve seen that the « langs= » property in the .ini for OS Builder allow to
> choose the language sets installed on the image.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to specify the default language (FR instead of EN
> for example).
>
> Do I need to use a custom script for that?
>

> Thanks in advance for your answer.
>

>                 Lionel.

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Re: Customize default language with OS Builder

John Watlington

If you change the LO tag for a laptop before the first boot of an image,
its value will get picked up and used.

- Stop a boot in OFW by pressing the ESC key.
- fs-update (or copy-image) the new image into place
- Change the manufacturing tag:
change-tag LO fr_FR.UTF-8   / only works if the same size as current tag
 (or if a different size, use:)
delete-tag LO
 (on reboot, stop in OFW again and:)
add-tag LO fr_FR.UTF-8

Cheers,
wad

On Mar 24, 2013, at 6:54 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 23:02 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I’ve seen that the « langs= » property in the .ini for OS Builder
>> allow to choose the language sets installed on the image.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a way to specify the default language (FR instead
>> of EN for example).
>>
>> Do I need to use a custom script for that?
>>

> Yes, sugar reads ~/.i18n for the language list in cp-languages. You
> could do something like:
>
> cat << EOF >> /home/olpc/.i18n
>
> LANGUAGE=en_GB.utf8:en_US.utf8
> EOF
>

> This will only work if olpc-utils version 3.0.3 or later is used in the
> image, prior versions deleted .i18n when first booted.
>
> Jerry
>

>> Thanks in advance for your answer.
>>

>>                Lionel.

RE: Customize default language with OS Builder

Lionel Laské-2

Hi Jerry, Hi John,

Thanks for your help.

> If you change the LO tag for a laptop before the first boot of an image,
its value will get picked up and used.

Great ! I did'nt know that default language could be change directly in the
firmware.
I guess it depends of the SKU value. Could I set French with an English
keyboard ?

        Lionel.

Re: Customize default language with OS Builder

Daniel Drake-5
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:16 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great ! I did'nt know that default language could be change directly in the
> firmware.
> I guess it depends of the SKU value. Could I set French with an English
> keyboard ?

Yes. LO is for system language, KL is for keyboard language.

Daniel