Crash after login screen?

Chris Ball
Hi,

This is likely a FAQ, but I can't see an answer anywhere.  I'm running
the latest image (48-20060727_1355) on the A-test hardware, and after
clicking the "OK" button on the login screen, X shuts down (and is
reloaded).

I'm running a standard A-test board with a USB ethernet device that is
up and working on eth0.  If I do 'su - olpc; startx && sugar', in an
attempt to get some debug output, all I see is:

   [...]
   Running the installed sugar...
   Redirecting output to the console, press Ctrl+Down to open it.

   waiting for X server to shut down

Any ideas?  I've seen this in the simulator too.

Thanks,

- Chris.
Chris Ball   <[hidden email]>    <http://blog.printf.net/>

Crash after login screen?

Marco Pesenti Gritti
Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is likely a FAQ, but I can't see an answer anywhere.  I'm running
> the latest image (48-20060727_1355) on the A-test hardware, and after
> clicking the "OK" button on the login screen, X shuts down (and is
> reloaded).
>
> I'm running a standard A-test board with a USB ethernet device that is
> up and working on eth0.  If I do 'su - olpc; startx && sugar', in an
> attempt to get some debug output, all I see is:
>
>    [...]
>    Running the installed sugar...
>    Redirecting output to the console, press Ctrl+Down to open it.
>
>    waiting for X server to shut down
>
> Any ideas?  I've seen this in the simulator too.

I think the latest stable image is 42. See:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPCImageBuild

Note that the sugar on the images is pretty old though...

Marco

Crash after login screen?

Burnsmi
Any idea when the nightly builds will stabalize under some of the more
up to date code? I'm curious to see what has gotten accomplished.

Michael Burns
Network Engineering
Oregon State University

On 7/31/06, Marco Pesenti Gritti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Ball wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is likely a FAQ, but I can't see an answer anywhere.  I'm running
> > the latest image (48-20060727_1355) on the A-test hardware, and after
> > clicking the "OK" button on the login screen, X shuts down (and is
> > reloaded).
> >
> > I'm running a standard A-test board with a USB ethernet device that is
> > up and working on eth0.  If I do 'su - olpc; startx && sugar', in an
> > attempt to get some debug output, all I see is:
> >
> >    [...]
> >    Running the installed sugar...
> >    Redirecting output to the console, press Ctrl+Down to open it.
> >
> >    waiting for X server to shut down
> >
> > Any ideas?  I've seen this in the simulator too.
> >

> I think the latest stable image is 42. See:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPCImageBuild
>
> Note that the sugar on the images is pretty old though...
>
> Marco

Crash after login screen?

Christopher Blizzard
Burnsmi wrote:
> Any idea when the nightly builds will stabalize under some of the more
> up to date code? I'm curious to see what has gotten accomplished.

build55 is pretty good.  That's the new stable one listed here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Build_images

The sugar snapshot on there is super-duper old, which doesn't help you
much.  But it's a start.

--Chris

Crash after login screen?

Teus Benschop
I can't see how stable build 55 is on the testboards by lack of those
boards, but if the image boots in the qemu simulator, it still won't log
into an X session.

And there are a number of error messages during bootup, though they
don't prevent the boot from continuing.

Is there some trick here to get the more recent nightly builds to run in
qemu?

Thank you,

Teus.

Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Burnsmi wrote:
>> Any idea when the nightly builds will stabalize under some of the more
>> up to date code? I'm curious to see what has gotten accomplished.
>
> build55 is pretty good.  That's the new stable one listed here:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Build_images
>
> The sugar snapshot on there is super-duper old, which doesn't help you
> much.  But it's a start.
>
> --Chris

Crash after login screen?

Christopher Blizzard
Teus Benschop wrote:
> I can't see how stable build 55 is on the testboards by lack of those
> boards, but if the image boots in the qemu simulator, it still won't log
> into an X session.
>
> And there are a number of error messages during bootup, though they
> don't prevent the boot from continuing.

What are the errors?

> Is there some trick here to get the more recent nightly builds to run in
> qemu?

I haven't tried one recently, but I know that davidz has.

--Chris

> Thank you,
>
> Teus.
>
> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> Burnsmi wrote:
>>> Any idea when the nightly builds will stabalize under some of the more
>>> up to date code? I'm curious to see what has gotten accomplished.
>>
>> build55 is pretty good.  That's the new stable one listed here:
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Build_images
>>
>> The sugar snapshot on there is super-duper old, which doesn't help you
>> much.  But it's a start.
>>
>> --Chris

Crash after login screen?

Teus Benschop
I am sending you a number of screenshots taken during the various stages
of bootup, but because of the size I'll not send them to the list.

Regards,

Teus.

Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Teus Benschop wrote:
>> I can't see how stable build 55 is on the testboards by lack of those
>> boards, but if the image boots in the qemu simulator, it still won't
>> log into an X session.
>>
>> And there are a number of error messages during bootup, though they
>> don't prevent the boot from continuing.
>
> What are the errors?
>

>> Is there some trick here to get the more recent nightly builds to run
>> in qemu?
>
> I haven't tried one recently, but I know that davidz has.
>
> --Chris
>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Teus.
>>
>> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>>>
>>> build55 is pretty good.  That's the new stable one listed here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Build_images
>>>
>>> The sugar snapshot on there is super-duper old, which doesn't help
>>> you much.  But it's a start.
>>>
>>> --Chris

Crash after login screen?

Christopher Blizzard
Teus Benschop wrote:
> I am sending you a number of screenshots taken during the various stages
> of bootup, but because of the size I'll not send them to the list.

Just FYI we looked at this and it looks like the problems with some
programs dying with illegal instructions were fixed just yesterday.
build59 seems to fix these particular problems and works pretty well.
Aside from the fact that the sugar snapshot is as old as sin. :)

--Chris

Crash after login screen?

Teus Benschop
Thanks, it works much better now. I am able to boot into X in qemu, with
the latest developer build.

There is still a problem with udev, of which I'll send a screenshot to you.