August Penguin talk

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

August Penguin talk

Zvi Devir
Next week I'm giving a talk in August Penguin 2007 -- The Israeli Open
Source Community Conference. However, I have some problems with the
current build for the demonstration.

Recently I've updated my B2 machine to build 538. The camera activity in
this build is totally broken. Actually the camera activity is broken for
quite some time now, for B2 machines (I forgot the Trac number, but IIRC
it's a WONTFIX bug due to hardware bug in GX). When the camera activity
is active, the colors are swapped and the cursor is garbled. Until
recently, the camera activity was only partially-broken. The user could
have watched the photos taken by the camera, and once the activity was
closed (actually the camera direct window) the colors were again ok. In
the new builds, the colors remain swapped even after quitting the camera
activity, which makes any further demonstration useless.
My question is simple -- what is the best build I should use?

BTW, those of you who happen to be in Israel, are welcome to
visit the conference.
    http://august.penguin.org.il/AUG2007/english.html

  - Zvi


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

August Penguin talk

James Cameron-2
On 05/08/2007, at 5:13 PM, Zvi Devir wrote:
> Recently I've updated my B2 machine to build 538. The camera  
> activity in
> this build is totally broken. Actually the camera activity is  
> broken for
> quite some time now, [...]

I offer a workaround rather than a solution ... depending on the  
nature of the problem, for demonstration purposes you may be able to  
grab just the files of an earlier Record (camera) activity that is  
known to work.

Keep a copy of 406.15 handy in case you strike a problem that  
prevents all demonstration.

--
James Cameron


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

August Penguin talk

Walter Bender-4
James's suggestion is a good one.

Unfortunately, the hardware problem that was fixed between B2 and B4
(and which was more extensive than just the difference between a GX
and a LX) was such that the overhead of maintaining compatibility is
not worth the effort.

Regarding which build to run, I'd suggest either 406.15 or 542. There
is no reason to run 538, which is less stable than 542. 406.15 will
run fine on B2 hardware. 542 will be a bit slower and you need to take
care that you don't run into OOM problems. I suggest only running one
activity at a time.

If you only have one machine, the advantages of running 542 are
greatly diminished, since many of the new features are related to
collaboration over the mesh. However, it does incorporate the Journal
and the cleaner, more consistent tab interface.

Sorry we cannot get you a B4 yet: we are negotiating with Israeli
customs about the proper procedure to bring the machines into the
country.

-walter

On 8/5/07, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On 05/08/2007, at 5:13 PM, Zvi Devir wrote:
> > Recently I've updated my B2 machine to build 538. The camera
> > activity in
> > this build is totally broken. Actually the camera activity is
> > broken for
> > quite some time now, [...]
>
> I offer a workaround rather than a solution ... depending on the
> nature of the problem, for demonstration purposes you may be able to
> grab just the files of an earlier Record (camera) activity that is
> known to work.
>
> Keep a copy of 406.15 handy in case you strike a problem that
> prevents all demonstration.
>
> --
> James Cameron
>
> _______________________________________________
> Devel mailing list
> Devel at lists.laptop.org
> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
>


--
Walter Bender
One Laptop per Child
http://laptop.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

August Penguin talk

Jim Gettys-3
In reply to this post by Zvi Devir
There are parts of the problems you are seeing that we won't fix.  As
Walter has noted, we screwed up wiring the GX output to display.
However, there is a more general colormap problem the camera application
is tickling in the X server which I hope we do fix (different trac
number), that causes the rainbow problem of the camera image and the
screwed up colors after running the camera application.

I can't predict exactly when we get that colormap problem fixed,
however.
                              - Jim


On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 10:13 +0300, Zvi Devir wrote:

> Next week I'm giving a talk in August Penguin 2007 -- The Israeli Open
> Source Community Conference. However, I have some problems with the
> current build for the demonstration.
>
> Recently I've updated my B2 machine to build 538. The camera activity in
> this build is totally broken. Actually the camera activity is broken for
> quite some time now, for B2 machines (I forgot the Trac number, but IIRC
> it's a WONTFIX bug due to hardware bug in GX). When the camera activity
> is active, the colors are swapped and the cursor is garbled. Until
> recently, the camera activity was only partially-broken. The user could
> have watched the photos taken by the camera, and once the activity was
> closed (actually the camera direct window) the colors were again ok. In
> the new builds, the colors remain swapped even after quitting the camera
> activity, which makes any further demonstration useless.
> My question is simple -- what is the best build I should use?
>
> BTW, those of you who happen to be in Israel, are welcome to
> visit the conference.
>     http://august.penguin.org.il/AUG2007/english.html
>
>   - Zvi
>
> _______________________________________________
> Devel mailing list
> Devel at lists.laptop.org
> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

August Penguin talk

Yoshiki Ohshima
In reply to this post by James Cameron-2
  Probably, the better bet is the "Camera" object in Etoys.  It works,
and you can even rotate, resize, make a few scripts that does
recording and playback by yourself during the demo...

-- Yoshiki

At Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:18:00 +1000,
James Cameron wrote:

>
> On 05/08/2007, at 5:13 PM, Zvi Devir wrote:
> > Recently I've updated my B2 machine to build 538. The camera  
> > activity in
> > this build is totally broken. Actually the camera activity is  
> > broken for
> > quite some time now, [...]
>
> I offer a workaround rather than a solution ... depending on the  
> nature of the problem, for demonstration purposes you may be able to  
> grab just the files of an earlier Record (camera) activity that is  
> known to work.
>
> Keep a copy of 406.15 handy in case you strike a problem that  
> prevents all demonstration.
>
> --
> James Cameron
>
> _______________________________________________
> Devel mailing list
> Devel at lists.laptop.org
> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel