Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.8 with Sugar 0.110

Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.8 with Sugar 0.110

James Cameron-2
G'day,

We're pleased to announce the release of OLPC OS 13.2.8 for XO-1,
XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4.

It is Sugar 0.110 on Fedora 18, with updated activities Speak-52,
Measure-53, Maze-26.1, Implode-17, GetBooks-16.2, Clock-18.1, and
Chat-83.

Details of new features, fixes, known issues, and how to download,
install or upgrade can be found in the release notes:

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.8

Our thanks to all contributors, testers, upstreams, and those who
have provided feedback of any kind.

Build file names: 32020o0 32020o1 32020o2 32020o4

http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.8 with Sugar 0.110

Alex Perez
James,

> On Dec 12, 2016, at 11:59 AM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> G'day,
>
> We're pleased to announce the release of OLPC OS 13.2.8 for XO-1,
> XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4.
>
> It is Sugar 0.110 on Fedora 18, with updated activities Speak-52,
> Measure-53, Maze-26.1, Implode-17, GetBooks-16.2, Clock-18.1, and
> Chat-83.
>
> Details of new features, fixes, known issues, and how to download,
> install or upgrade can be found in the release notes:
>
>        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.8

Thanks for the release. It is much appreciated. So far, I’ve flashed it just fine on several production XO-1’s I have, both on the internal NAND as well as to a 32GB Samsung (Class 6) SD card, however in the case of the SD card install, once the flash completes, and I’m booted into the 13.2.8 environment , I consistently get MMC timeout errors, and the kernel hangs. This is easily reproducible by simply running ‘yum update’ from the CLI.

The exact message emitted by the kernel is “mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt. mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status 0xe00.

I can re-boot into the on-board instance of the OS on NAND, and run fsck against the filesystem on the SD card, and no filesystem-level errors are detected there.

Do you have any suggestions for follow-up troubleshooting?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 01:20:54PM -0800, Alex Perez wrote:

> Thanks for the release. It is much appreciated. So far, I’ve flashed
> it just fine on several production XO-1’s I have, both on the
> internal NAND as well as to a 32GB Samsung (Class 6) SD card,
> however in the case of the SD card install, once the flash
> completes, and I’m booted into the 13.2.8 environment , I
> consistently get MMC timeout errors, and the kernel hangs. This is
> easily reproducible by simply running ‘yum update’ from the CLI.
>
> The exact message emitted by the kernel is “mmc0: Timeout waiting
> for hardware interrupt. mmcblk0: error -110 sending stop command,
> original cmd response 0x900, card status 0xe00.

This is a known symptom on some XO-1 units.  It also varies by SD
card, and is very likely if automatic power management is enabled.  My
build does not enable automatic power management; can you confirm you
did not?

> I can re-boot into the on-board instance of the OS on NAND, and run
> fsck against the filesystem on the SD card, and no filesystem-level
> errors are detected there.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for follow-up troubleshooting?

It is difficult because SD card is tiny computer with closed-source.

Try shutdown, remove battery, wait ten seconds, restore battery, power
on.  Reason: ensure no CMOS lockup due to ESD.

Try different cards.  Reason: cards vary.

Try different XO-1.  Reason: SD slot circuit varies.

Try read the card fully; e.g. "sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null".
Reason: card firmware will rewrite any flash blocks that are close to
read disturb threshold count.  As a result timing of future read will
be changed.

Try fs-update on same card in an XO-1.5, XO-1.75, or XO-4, and leave
laptop at ok prompt for a couple of minutes, then move the card to the
XO-1.  Reason: card firmware may not be capable of recovery from
sudden power loss after write; the XO-1 fs-update pauses for only ten
seconds before power donw.

http://quozl.netrek.org/