Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.6 with Sugar 0.107

Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.6 with Sugar 0.107

James Cameron-2
G'day,

We're pleased to announce the release of OLPC OS 13.2.6 for XO-1,
XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4.

It is Sugar 0.107 on Fedora 18, with a few activities upgraded.

Details of new features, fixes, known issues, and how to download,
install or upgrade can be found in the release notes:

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6

Our thanks to all contributors, testers, upstreams, and those who
have provided feedback of any kind.

thanks.

All feedback on Sugar 0.107 should be directed to sugar-devel@ list.

Note: this release is temporarily hosted on our build server while we
work to bring our usual download server back to full health.

Build file names: 32018o0 32018o1 32018o2 32018o4

Re: Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.6 with Sugar 0.107

James Cameron-2
G'day Caryl,

Thanks for your question.

Don't speculate.  Work the problem.  That's the only way to know.

Please follow the Installation section of the release notes; choose
one according to the model of XO laptop:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-1
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-1.5
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-1.75
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-4

Follow the steps in the same order as they appear.

Read ahead to familiarise yourself.  You'll see we do not say to
install a more recent build first; more recent firmware yes,
sometimes, but not a more recent build.

If you hit problems during install, contact me.

Based on actual experiences the Wiki pages are revised to improve them
for all.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 07:38:29AM -0600, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> Congratulations James! Can this be installed directly on an XO that hasn't been updated in a number of years or do you need to install a more recent build first as an intermediate step?
>
> Caryl
> PS I don't know which build since I'm no
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 16, 2015, at 4:57 PM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > G'day,
> >
> > We're pleased to announce the release of OLPC OS 13.2.6 for XO-1,
> > XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4.
> >
> > It is Sugar 0.107 on Fedora 18, with a few activities upgraded.
> >
> > Details of new features, fixes, known issues, and how to download,
> > install or upgrade can be found in the release notes:
> >
> >        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6
> >
> > Our thanks to all contributors, testers, upstreams, and those who
> > have provided feedback of any kind.
> >
> > ****

> > thanks.
> >
> > All feedback on Sugar 0.107 should be directed to sugar-devel@ list.
> >
> > ****
> >
> > Note: this release is temporarily hosted on our build server while we
> > work to bring our usual download server back to full health.
> >
> > Build file names: 32018o0 32018o1 32018o2 32018o4
> >
> > --
> > James Cameron
> > http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Re: Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.6 with Sugar 0.107

Adam Holt-2
Thanks James,

Will there be an equivalent to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.5#XO-1_with_SD_card ?

Just curious as http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6#XO-1_with_SD_card seems blank for now.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
G'day Caryl,

Thanks for your question.

Don't speculate.  Work the problem.  That's the only way to know.

Please follow the Installation section of the release notes; choose
one according to the model of XO laptop:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-1
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-1.5
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-1.75
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6/Installation/XO-4

Follow the steps in the same order as they appear.

Read ahead to familiarise yourself.  You'll see we do not say to
install a more recent build first; more recent firmware yes,
sometimes, but not a more recent build.

If you hit problems during install, contact me.

Based on actual experiences the Wiki pages are revised to improve them
for all.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 07:38:29AM -0600, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> Congratulations James! Can this be installed directly on an XO that hasn't been updated in a number of years or do you need to install a more recent build first as an intermediate step?
>
> Caryl
> PS I don't know which build since I'm no
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 16, 2015, at 4:57 PM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > G'day,
> >
> > We're pleased to announce the release of OLPC OS 13.2.6 for XO-1,
> > XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4.
> >
> > It is Sugar 0.107 on Fedora 18, with a few activities upgraded.
> >
> > Details of new features, fixes, known issues, and how to download,
> > install or upgrade can be found in the release notes:
> >
> >        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6
> >
> > Our thanks to all contributors, testers, upstreams, and those who
> > have provided feedback of any kind.
> >
> > ****

> > thanks.
> >
> > All feedback on Sugar 0.107 should be directed to sugar-devel@ list.
> >
> > ****
> >
> > Note: this release is temporarily hosted on our build server while we
> > work to bring our usual download server back to full health.
> >
> > Build file names: 32018o0 32018o1 32018o2 32018o4
> >
> > --
> > James Cameron
> > http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Re: Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.6 with Sugar 0.107

James Cameron-2
Thanks, I've removed the heading.

I didn't think anybody was using the SD card builds.

Almost all the feedback has been that using them is too expensive and
impractical.  Our download statistics support this idea.

What feedback can you give?

I'm looking for numbers; how many XO-1 laptops have been installed
with SD cards, how many learners use them.

I'm looking for perceptions; is the performance difference significant?

On Nov 18, 2015 5:13 PM, "James Cameron" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, I've removed the heading.
>
> I didn't think anybody was using the SD card builds.
>
> Almost all the feedback has been that using them is too expensive and
> impractical.  Our download statistics support this idea.
>
> What feedback can you give?
>
> I'm looking for numbers; how many XO-1 laptops have been installed
> with SD cards, how many learners use them.
>
> I'm looking for perceptions; is the performance difference significant?

I love the idea and I wish I knew!  I've sent quite a few to Haiti, and trained several people to install it.  It's early days, but so far so good.