Android on the XO-4

Sameer Verma
I was at the Internet Archive for some work on Pathagar
(https://github.com/PathagarBooks/pathagar). Also there that afternoon
was John Gilmore (cc'd). We got to talking about the XO-4, Android,
HTML5, etc. A bit of doodling on Physics, and John put together a two
cylinder engine, complete with a rocker arm :-) He also suggested the
possibility of CyanogenMod on the XO-4 as a starting point.

If there is any interest in this, please submit a proposal for the
upcoming OLPC SF summit
http://www.olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2013/proposal

John,

If you are in town Oct 18-20, we'd love to have you there.
http://olpcsf.org/summit

cheers,
Sameer
--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Professor, Information Systems

Re: Android on the XO-4

Walter Bender-4
Not sure this helps us get around the Marvel bottleneck, but worth
investigating.

-walter

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was at the Internet Archive for some work on Pathagar
> (https://github.com/PathagarBooks/pathagar). Also there that afternoon
> was John Gilmore (cc'd). We got to talking about the XO-4, Android,
> HTML5, etc. A bit of doodling on Physics, and John put together a two
> cylinder engine, complete with a rocker arm :-) He also suggested the
> possibility of CyanogenMod on the XO-4 as a starting point.
>
> If there is any interest in this, please submit a proposal for the
> upcoming OLPC SF summit
> http://www.olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2013/proposal
>
> John,
>
> If you are in town Oct 18-20, we'd love to have you there.
> http://olpcsf.org/summit
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Professor, Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://commons.sfsu.edu/
> http://olpcsf.org/
> http://olpcjamaica.org.jm/

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org

Re: Android on the XO-4

Sameer Verma
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Walter Bender <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure this helps us get around the Marvel bottleneck, but worth
> investigating.
>
> -walter

Thx. I've heard about this bottleneck but not sure what it is. Can you
tell us a bit about what it is, or point to it?

Sameer

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was at the Internet Archive for some work on Pathagar
>> (https://github.com/PathagarBooks/pathagar). Also there that afternoon
>> was John Gilmore (cc'd). We got to talking about the XO-4, Android,
>> HTML5, etc. A bit of doodling on Physics, and John put together a two
>> cylinder engine, complete with a rocker arm :-) He also suggested the
>> possibility of CyanogenMod on the XO-4 as a starting point.
>>
>> If there is any interest in this, please submit a proposal for the
>> upcoming OLPC SF summit
>> http://www.olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2013/proposal
>>
>> John,
>>
>> If you are in town Oct 18-20, we'd love to have you there.
>> http://olpcsf.org/summit
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sameer
>> --
>> Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
>> Professor, Information Systems
>> San Francisco State University
>> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
>> http://commons.sfsu.edu/
>> http://olpcsf.org/
>> http://olpcjamaica.org.jm/

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Re: Android on the XO-4

John Watlington

There is no Marvell bottleneck.   Marvell has confirmed that they
will provide the few binary blobs required compiled in the right way
for Android on XO-4.  We just need to provide the target version of
Android.

Cheers,
wad

>>> http://commons.sfsu.edu/
>>> http://olpcsf.org/
>>> http://olpcjamaica.org.jm/
>>

>> --
>> Walter Bender
>> Sugar Labs
>> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Re: Android on the XO-4

Walter Bender-4
Sorry for misleading the list. This is new information to me. Seems it
is just a matter of doing the work then.

-walter

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM, John Watlington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is no Marvell bottleneck.   Marvell has confirmed that they
> will provide the few binary blobs required compiled in the right way
> for Android on XO-4.  We just need to provide the target version of
> Android.
>
> Cheers,
> wad
>
> On Oct 8, 2013, at 10:22 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Walter Bender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Not sure this helps us get around the Marvel bottleneck, but worth
>>> investigating.
>>>
>>> -walter
>>>

>> Thx. I've heard about this bottleneck but not sure what it is. Can you
>> tell us a bit about what it is, or point to it?
>>
>> Sameer

>>> --
>>> Walter Bender
>>> Sugar Labs
>>> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org

Re: Android on the XO-4

Daniel Narvaez
Is the goal just to run Android on the XO or this related to Sugar and the HTML 5 effort?

On Wednesday, 9 October 2013, Sameer Verma wrote:
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Walter Bender <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;walter.bender@gmail.com&#39;)">walter.bender@...> wrote:
> Not sure this helps us get around the Marvel bottleneck, but worth
> investigating.
>
> -walter

Thx. I've heard about this bottleneck but not sure what it is. Can you
tell us a bit about what it is, or point to it?

Sameer

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Sameer Verma <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;sverma@sfsu.edu&#39;)">sverma@...> wrote:
>> I was at the Internet Archive for some work on Pathagar
>> (https://github.com/PathagarBooks/pathagar). Also there that afternoon
>> was John Gilmore (cc'd). We got to talking about the XO-4, Android,
>> HTML5, etc. A bit of doodling on Physics, and John put together a two
>> cylinder engine, complete with a rocker arm :-) He also suggested the
>> possibility of CyanogenMod on the XO-4 as a starting point.
>>
>> If there is any interest in this, please submit a proposal for the
>> upcoming OLPC SF summit
>> http://www.olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2013/proposal
>>
>> John,
>>
>> If you are in town Oct 18-20, we'd love to have you there.
>> http://olpcsf.org/summit
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sameer
>> --
>> Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
>> Professor, Information Systems
>> San Francisco State University
>> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
>> http://commons.sfsu.edu/
>> http://olpcsf.org/
>> http://olpcjamaica.org.jm/

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Daniel Narvaez

Re: Android on the XO-4

John Watlington

On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:46 AM, Walter Bender wrote:

> Sorry for misleading the list. This is new information to me.
> Seems it is just a matter of doing the work then.

It is I who need to apologize.   This information was first communicated
to me around a week ago and I hadn't shared it properly.

On a more promising note, Jon Nettleton reported on IRC that he
made progress in getting big.LITTLE running on the MMP3.

wad

Re: Android on the XO-4

Gonzalo Odiard-3
Good news!

Gonzalo

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM, John Watlington <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:46 AM, Walter Bender wrote:

> Sorry for misleading the list. This is new information to me.
> Seems it is just a matter of doing the work then.

It is I who need to apologize.   This information was first communicated
to me around a week ago and I hadn't shared it properly.

On a more promising note, Jon Nettleton reported on IRC that he
made progress in getting big.LITTLE running on the MMP3.

wad

Re: Android on the XO-4

Walter Bender-4
I am guessing that OLPC's short-term goal is just to get Android
running... a dual-boot system would be attractive to many of their
potential customers.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs

Re: Android on the XO-4

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM, John Watlington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is I who need to apologize.   This information was first communicated
> to me around a week ago and I hadn't shared it properly.

It's great news.

> On a more promising note, Jon Nettleton reported on IRC that he
> made progress in getting big.LITTLE running on the MMP3.

That's a big LITTLE miracle I guess ;-) - go Jon!

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff