406.15 - ext3 images?

Martin Langhoff
I can only find jffs2 images of all the 406.xx builds. So far, I've
been careful to avoid touching the NAND. Ext3-based usb sticks are
*really* useful and easy to plug back and forth on my work laptop and
then back on the B2.

All my attempts at booting from the jffs2 images from usb have failed.
Not surprising -- it's not supposed to work either according to the
wiki. What to do...?

cheers,

martin

406.15 - ext3 images?

James Cameron-2
On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:31:38PM +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> I can only find jffs2 images of all the 406.xx builds. So far, I've
> been careful to avoid touching the NAND.

I'm curious, why are you avoiding touching the NAND?  I find it much
easier to just install to the NAND as jg intended.  ;-)

James Cameron    mailto:quozl at us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/

406.15 - ext3 images?

Martin Langhoff
On 8/2/07, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:31:38PM +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > I can only find jffs2 images of all the 406.xx builds. So far, I've
> > been careful to avoid touching the NAND.
>
> I'm curious, why are you avoiding touching the NAND?  I find it much
> easier to just install to the NAND as jg intended.  ;-)

I tend to keep a few usb sticks around with different images. And
dd'ing a new image to a USB stick and booting is much much easier than
the contortions listed in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image

And I can put the USB stick on my work laptop, copy files to it, plug
it back in and boot the olpc. The NAND feels a lot more limited for me
-- I am not doing field trials.

cheers,

martin

406.15 - ext3 images?

C. Scott Ananian
On 8/2/07, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tend to keep a few usb sticks around with different images. And
> dd'ing a new image to a USB stick and booting is much much easier than
> the contortions listed in
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image

I suggest that you try it.  You'll find that it isn't so hard:
 1) download the latest olpc-auto.zip
 2) unzip into the root of a flash key
 3) download your choice of builds (osXXX.img and osXXX.crc) into the
USB key's boot directory
 4) plug in and flash!
 --scott

--